Saturday 28 July 2012

Opposites attract......no?



Its another weekend, the last for this month of July. We thank God for his mercies. Yeah, I know I havn't posted anything in....2days. Well right now I don't have a pattern. I just write whenever. Besides i've been pretty pre-occupied lately but I'll try to post as often as possible.
Today, I’ll try to take on this age old theory/law, "the law of attraction", which even has roots in science and most religions. Ok, let me just quickly state here that I’m not about to bust a law that’s way older than I am. Hell no. I’m only going to take on one bit of it and this is the relationship aspect. Now, contrary to what this law states, I believe to co-exist, be it in a simple relationship, or a marriage, the two parties involved need to find common grounds on certain aspects. Let’s take a look at some.
Food: There are so many angles to this. You can have the mismatch of the home cooking queen and the fast food king, the healthy eater and the not-so-healthy junk eater. e.t.c. No matter how you look at it, it’s a very vital point, which if not properly addressed before hand can easily drive the couple to splitsville
Libido: In my short stay on this planet, I’ve come across all kinds of people and some of  them, well, the best way to describe them is what they are – nymphos – yes, they exist. I’m talking about people who can hardly do one day without having sex. Doesn’t matter if it’s good or bad. Now imagine someone like this, a dude perhaps, ending up with a total prude for a girlfriend or worse off, a wife. *Insert chaos* It’s one of two things, it’s either the person with the lower libido compromises to having more sex or the person with the higher, compromises to having less. Doesn’t it already sound complicated?

Personal hygiene: Let’s come out and say it it like it is, Some people are just down-right duuurrrrty. Like they really don’t mind leaving used dishes in their kitchen for a couple of days. Heck, some even throw used condoms underneath their beds and some ladies.. just cause it’s a black bra, they wear it like it’s a birthmark. Some guys on the other hand will throw their boxer-shorts here and there and trust me, some wear same boxers for weeks. This hygiene thing may not be an issue for some people, but if your partner is a born neat-freak, it just won’t work.
Music/Movies: He loves rock music while she loves country music or she’s a die-hard nollywood fan but he, on the other hand can’t stand it. I’ve met a lot of guys that hate Nollywood movies (I’m with them on that, can’t stand it myself). So imagine those guys in a relationship with someone that loves it .Trust me, there’s bound to be conflicts.
Religion: He’s a catholic while she goes to a white garment church. She’s Pentecostal while he’s Grail. There’s also the case of one being a Christian and the other Muslim. Need I say more?
However, I think that the Law of opposites attracting in relationships applies or is used when observing personalities and not issues/values. It is the variety expressed in the differences of the person’s personality that attracts you to them. No one wants an exact clone nau....abi? For example, they say that an extroverted individual would most likely do well with an introvert because they’d complement each other. Fact is, we are naturally attracted to individuals who are different from ourselves - and therefore somewhat exciting. But it's not just the exciting differences which attract us to our opposites, it is also a natural quest for completion. We naturally are drawn towards individuals who have strengths which we are missing. There is also the theory that our natural attraction to our opposites is a subconscious way of forcing us to deal with the weaker aspects of our own nature. While we are highly attracted to our opposites, two opposites involved in an intimate relationship have significant issues and communication barriers to overcome. So in a sense, our attraction to the opposite personality can be seen as our subconscious minds driving us towards becoming a more complete individual, by causing us to face the areas in life which are most difficult to us.
What do u think?
Please use the comments box.


3 comments:

  1. Interesting....

    ReplyDelete
  2. I once dated a guy that was C&S He didn't tell me at first,but d moment I found out,I ended the relationship. I felt there was no point continuing wit d relationship cos there was no way I was gonna marry a C&S.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ur blog is getting dry

    ReplyDelete