Tuesday 2 October 2012

My near-fatal experience on a bus.

the bus going up in flames
It happened yesterday, the 1st day of October. Though it was a public holiday, I had to be at work. Left the house not so early, took a bike to Ojota. Then from there, I boarded a bus. I have to state here that i had my earpiece on and was listening to music, oblivious to whatever was going on around me....can't even tell if it was a male or female sitting beside me. I was in my own world. I barely noticed when we got to Maryland as the driver stopped to pick up more passengers, only remember adjusting a bit on my seat for the person to sit. Then we continued....and then the unexpected happened!
I really can't say when or how or what, all I noticed was everyone scampering, pushing and shoving to jump down from the bus. Ahhahn, what the f** is going on? I was totally at loss as to what was happening. Being my curious self, (I usually don't run when I see people running, I always like to find out why, before doing so. risky, abi?). I sha calmly looked back and noticed smoke coming out from the booth of the vehicle...then I saw the fire! Yes the fire was seriously razing fueled by the fuel the driver had in his booth. Nobody told me to stand up from my seat. My seat being the 2nd to the last, yeah, very close indeed. You needed to see the way people were pushing and shoving to go down, which made it very difficult as everyone wanted to go down first. I'm sure you can imagine the scenario. I didn't even bother struggling with them, my tiny self? They'll just crush me lol. I sha jejely allowed them get down, I think I was the second to the last person to get down from the bus. All the while, I kept thinking, 'what if this bus just explodes?' Haaaa!
As God would have it, there was no serious casualty. Though there were lots of serious injuries oh. I saw one girl that had a cut which tore through her jeans. The jeans was torn and her leg was bleeding. Some others had one scratch or the other. Your's sincerely came down without even a single scratch, yeah God is Awesome indeed! People driving past stopped to help, some brought their fire extinguishers, others brought water. But not so much could be done. Needless to say, the vehicle was a write off.
Everything seemed surreal to me. It was like I was imagining the whole thing. Then it dawned on me. Dayyuummm! God just saved my life! Imagine what would have happened if the door of the bus couldn't open fast enough, or if a trailer or some big vehicle was behind us. It could have been worse, but God saved us. I couldn't thank Him enough.  I was so overwhelmed, that I cried. I kept thinking, "what if"..."So that's how people die". Thank God.
It was even much later I remembered to take that picture for this post. I was deeply shaken by the experience, couldn't seem to get it off my mind the whole day. I kept replaying the whole thing over and over in my head. Hmm.
I pray that God will protect and keep us and our loved ones wherever we go, in Jesus Name. Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment